Three visiting birders from Wales stumbled upon a grey shrike species at Burnham Norton (North Norfolk) on Sunday 5 October 2014 and suspecting it to be a SAXAUL GREY, telephoned it out as a probable. It was quickly confirmed by those within striking distance, sparking off a major twitch - particularly so as the bird represented the first record for the county. By the end of the day, when the bird roosted in its favoured Hawthorn clumps east of the main track out to the seawall at Burnham Norton, some 100 or so observers had connected......
Despite being awful weather (heavy rain and strong winds), Chris Holt and I decided to try our luck this morning and thankfully for us (and numerous other observers), the bird had survived the night and was still present. It was still harbouring the fenceline and isolated bushes 2-350 yards east of the main track (about 300 yards down from the car parking area) and was making regular sorties to the ground from the fenceposts. Knowing how inquisitive the species is, I tried out a 'trick' I have used with other individuals and after a long period of time and the rain had stopped, the bird responded, eventually flighting to within yards of me.......
Here is a selection of my best shots - the bird representing my 400th species in the county.....
Rare and Scarce Birds in Britain and Ireland in 2015
- Birding Tours with LGRE
- PREMIER BIRD NEWS FROM THE BBA
- The Latest RARE BIRD NEWS from around BRITAIN & IRELAND
- The Top 10 Listing Birders in the UK
- BEDFORDSHIRE BIRDING
- HERTFORDSHIRE BIRDING
- BUCKINGHAMSHIRE BIRDING
- AMERSHAM BIRDING - LGRE'S LOCAL AREA
- Birding at Tring Reservoirs, College Lake, Ivinghoe Beacon and Environs
- UK400 Club Sales: Magazines, Books, CD's, Bird Reports
- The Official UK400 Club Rare Bird News Blog Page
- BREAKING NEWS
- Rare & Scarce Birds in Britain & Ireland in 2012
- Rare & Scarce Birds in Britain & Ireland 2013
- Rare & Scarce Birds in Britain & Ireland in 2014
- Rare Birds in Britain and Ireland in 2015
- PRODUCT REVIEWS - OPTICS & BIRDING PARAPHANELIA
- IDENTIFICATION CONUNDRUMS
- BIRD IDENTIFICATION